The following baking books on this reading list have helped me get started with baking bread at home and continue to inform, challenge, and surprise me even after reading them for the second and third time. Many of them have inspired me to bake with freshly milled flour, work with ancient grains, and even naturally leavened pastry and sweets. If I had to choose a set of books to take with me to a deserted island that had nothing but flour, water, salt, yeast, and an oven, these would be them.
I hope the following books provide you with as much insight and instruction as they have for me.
- Bread: A Baker’s Book of Techniques and Recipes by Jeffrey Hamelman
- The Bread Builders by Daniel Wing and Alan Scott
- Tartine Bread by Chad Robertson
- Tartine Book No. 3 by Chad Robertson
- Flour Water Salt Yeast by Ken Forkish
- Josey Baker Bread: Get Baking – Make Awesome Bread – Share the Loaves
- Bread Science: the Chemistry and Craft of Making Bread
- Bread Baking for Beginners by Bonnie Ohara
Click here to see a list of all these books on this reading list and many more exceptional reads.